Action and Contemplation: The Art of Christian Engagement
Lecturer: Rev Dr Tim McCowan
UD undergraduate unit code: DS/DP3205W
UD postgradute unit code: DS/DP9205W
This unit explores the art of engaging in Christian life and ministry with a contemplative awareness. It will examine the Biblical, theological and practical foundations for a Christian contemplative spirituality, and the implications of this posture of union with God for one’s personal life, relationships, ministry and involvement in wider society.
Particular focus will be given to:
- the Biblical, theological and practical issues of reconciling one’s active and contemplative life with the personal and social dimensions of ministry;
- a theological understanding and critical engagement with the dynamics of forgiveness and reconciliation in ministry from a contemplative awareness;
- spiritual and practical exercises to increase their awareness of being present to themselves, the Holy Spirit, and to others.
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- articulate the Biblical and theological foundations for a contemplative spirituality in Christian life and ministry;
- identify the challenges and resources to live with a contemplative awareness in daily life;
- evaluate the effect of a contemplative practice and vision on a person’s engagement in ministry;
- analyse their theological and practical understanding of forgiveness, reconciliation and non-violent social action for a particular cultural and social context;
- critically self-evaluate their growth through personal and peer supervision;
- articulate a theological synthesis of theory and practice for a contemplative approach to ministry and social action.
Dates for 2024
This course will be avaiable again in Semester 2 2024. The unit will be delivered in blended mode, online via Zoom and at WellSpring Centre, 10 Y Street Ashburton VIC 3147.