Recipient of Exception Report Commendation from the Vice Chancellor, University of Divinity
This Commendation is for an outstanding result based on student feedback in 2019
Lecturers: Rev Dr Peter Bentley + Spiritual Formation Team
Art of Contemplative Practice 1 is recommended, but not required, for Art of Contemplative Practice 2.
Watch a short video trailer with lecturer, Peter Bentley
At the conclusion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to demonstrate evidence of personal reflection and integration of concepts by:
- Articulating an historical framework for the development of contemplation through Christian history from the early Church to the current era.
- Demonstrating a clear understanding of contemplation and its relationship to other spiritual practices such as meditation, prayer and intercession.
- Developing a critical awareness of the unique aspects of the various forms of contemplation.
- Engaging in critical examination of their own spiritual practices as they relate to contemplation.
- Describing the relevance of contemplative practices to engagement with the world and diverse contexts and cultures of ministry.
2022 Enrolment and Costs
UD code: DS9202W
Class size (minimum and maximum number of students) is designed to facilitate optimal participation.
More information from the Whitley website.
- Thursday 21 July, 9.30am to 2pm
- Thursday 28 July, 9.30am to 2pm
- Thursday 4 August, 9.30am to 2pm
- Thursday 11 August, 9.30am to 2pm
- Thursday 18 August, 9am to 8pm (Retreat Day TBC)
- Thursday 25 August, 9.30am to 2pm
- Thursday 1 September, 9am to 8pm (Retreat Day TBC)
- Thursday 8 September, 9.30am to 2pm
- Thursday 15 September, 9.30am to 2pm
In 2022, this unit will be offered by Zoom only.
Process for enrolment for 2022
Please complete the WellSpring registration form for The Art of Contemplative Practice 2 prior to enrolling in the unit with Whitley College.
Decide whether to enrol in the unit for academic credit or register as an audit participant. Both options happen through Whitley College.
Enrolment for academic credit:
This unit may count towards a postgraduate award through Whitley College, a teaching college of the University of Divinity.
Costs are as per University of Divinity fees schedule for 2022, $2732 (postgraduate single unit).
Eligible* students enrolling for academic credit may defer the payment of fees through the FEE-HELP loan scheme.
(*Australian citizens and holders of a permanent humanitarian visa.)
If you already a student with the University of Divinity, contact the registrar at your own Home College to arrange enrolment.
Contact for New Students:
Ph: (03) 9340 8000
There is also the option of auditing this unit, at a reduced cost. Auditing:
Fees for auditing for 2022 ($1,366) are payable in full to Whitley College at the time of registering as an audit participant.
Participants who audit the unit are encouraged to complete the written tasks to gain full benefit.
NB: If you choose to register as an audit participant, no academic credit can be claimed for the unit, either at the time of enrolling or retrospectively.
To register as an audit participant: