This unit explores the various forms or stages of contemplation relating to the shifts in our awareness of our relationship with God. The application of contemplative practices associated with these forms or stages are examined to ascertain their influence on deepening awareness of personal spiritual development, vocational discernment, communal engagement and the development of global perspectives.
At the conclusion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to demonstrate evidence of personal reflection and integration of concepts by:
- Articulating an historical framework for the development of contemplation through Christian history from the early Church to the current era.
- Demonstrating a clear understanding of contemplation and its relationship to other spiritual practices such as meditation, prayer and intercession.
- Developing a critical awareness of the unique aspects of the various forms of contemplation.
- Engaging in critical examination of their own spiritual practices as they relate to contemplation.
- Describing the relevance of contemplative practices to engagement with the world and diverse contexts and cultures of ministry.
2019 Course Details
Facilitator: Rev Dr Peter Bentley
- Tuesdays 13, 20 and 27 August, 9am to 3pm, AND
- Tuesdays 3, 10 and 17 September, 9am to 3pm,AND
- Friday 6 to Sunday 8 September (off-site retreat in Boronia)
Location: WellSpring Centre, 10 Y Street, Ashburton VIC 3147
Class size (minimum and maximum number of students) is designed to facilitate optimal participation.
2019 Enrolment and Costs
UD code: DS9202W
Costs: Per University of Divinity schedule (single undergraduate or post-graduate unit). If students enrol through University of Divinity, FEE-Help may be available to cover tuition fees.
The cost of the residential retreat ($275 including GST) is additional and not covered by academic fees/FEE-Help.
Contact Dorothy Morgan at Whitley College for more information.
There is also the option of auditing this unit, at a reduced cost.
Non-academic credit fees are $1,347.50 including GST (payable to WellSpring Centre).
The cost of the residential retreat ($275 including GST) is additional.
An invoice for the auditing fees will be sent to you for payment prior to the beginning of the course.
Students who audit the course are still encouraged to complete the written tasks to gain full benefit of the course.
to enrol as an auditing student