This unit examines principles and approaches to learning that contribute to spiritual formation. The concepts of spirituality and spiritual formation are explored to set the context for how learning about particular aspects of ministry are facilitated according to formational principles.
The themes covered in the course include an examination of the core elements of formational learning, how these elements are applied within a range of learning contexts and the implications for practitioners in various fields of study.
At the conclusion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to demonstrate evidence of personal engagement with, and integration of, concepts relating to spiritual formation by:
- Articulating an understanding of spirituality and spiritual formation as they relate to formational learning experiences
- Developing a critical understanding of three sets of agendas for formational learning
a. Informing and performing
b. Deforming and reforming
c. Conforming and transforming
- Outlining and illustrating the factors that enhance the learning of participants in spiritual formation programs.
- Critically assessing the contribution of formators and participants to the formational learning process.
- Describing the key factors that generate safety without compromising the self-awareness and participants’ critical engagement with learning.
2018 Course Details
Facilitator: Rev Dr Peter Bentley
- Wednesday 26 to Friday 28 September, 9.30am to 4.30pm AND
- Wednesday 3 to Friday 5 October, 9.30am to 4.30pm
Location: WellSpring Centre, 10 Y Street, Ashburton VIC 3147
Class size (minimum and maximum number of students) is designed to facilitate optimal participation.
2018 Enrolment and Costs
UD code: DS9030W
Costs: Per University of Divinity schedule (15 point post-graduate unit). If students enrol through University of Divinity, FEE-Help may be available to cover tuition fees.
Contact Dorothy Morgan at Whitley College for more information.
There is also the option of enrolling in this unit for non-academic credit, at a reduced cost.
Non-academic credit fees are $660 including GST (payable to WellSpring Centre).
An invoice for the fees for enrolment with non-academic credit will be sent to you for payment prior to the beginning of the course.
Students who enrol in the course for non-academic credit are still encouraged to complete the written tasks to gain full benefit of the course.
to enrol for non-academic credit