This unit examines principles and approaches to learning that contribute to spiritual formation. The concepts of spirituality and spiritual formation are explored to set the context for how learning about particular aspects of ministry are facilitated according to formational principles.
The themes covered in the course include an examination of the core elements of formational learning, how these elements are applied within a range of learning contexts and the implications for practitioners in various fields of study.
Watch a short video trailer with lecturer, Peter Bentley
At the conclusion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to demonstrate evidence of personal engagement with, and integration of, concepts relating to spiritual formation by:
- Articulating an understanding of spirituality and spiritual formation as they relate to formational learning experiences
- Developing a critical understanding of three sets of agendas for formational learning
a. Informing and performing
b. Deforming and reforming
c. Conforming and transforming
- Outlining and illustrating the factors that enhance the learning of participants in spiritual formation programs.
- Critically assessing the contribution of formators and participants to the formational learning process.
- Describing the key factors that generate safety without compromising the self-awareness and participants’ critical engagement with learning.
2019 Course Details
UD code: DS9030W
Facilitator: Rev Dr Peter Bentley
- Monday 18 to Wednesday 20 November 2019, 9.30am to 4.30pm AND
- Monday 25 and Tuesday 26 November 2019, 9.30am to 4.30pm
Location: Whitley College, 50 The Avenue, Parkville VIC 3052
Class size (minimum and maximum number of students) is designed to facilitate optimal participation.
More information from the Whitley website.
2019 Enrolment and Costs
Enrolment for academic credit:
Costs are as per University of Divinity schedule (post-graduate single unit).
Students who enrol through University of Divinity may be eligible for FEE-Help to cover course fees.
If you already a student with the University of Divinity, contact the registrar at your own Home College to arrange enrolment.
There is also the option of auditing this unit, at a reduced cost.
Fees for auditing for 2019 ($500) are payable in full to Whitley College at the time of enrolling as an auditing student.
Students who audit the unit are encouraged to complete the written tasks to gain full benefit.
NB: If you choose to enrol as an auditing student, no academic credit can be claimed for the unit, either at the time of enrolling or retrospectively.
To enrol as an auditing student: