This unit examines principles and approaches to learning that contribute to spiritual formation. The concepts of spirituality and spiritual formation are explored to set the context for how learning about particular aspects of ministry are facilitated according to formational principles.
The themes covered in the course include an examination of the core elements of formational learning, how these elements are applied within a range of learning contexts and the implications for practitioners in various fields of study.
At the conclusion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to demonstrate evidence of personal engagement with, and integration of, concepts relating to spiritual formation by:
- Articulating an understanding of spirituality and spiritual formation as they relate to formational learning experiences
- Developing a critical understanding of three sets of agendas for formational learning
a. Informing and performing
b. Deforming and reforming
c. Conforming and transforming
- Outlining and illustrating the factors that enhance the learning of participants in spiritual formation programs.
- Critically assessing the contribution of formators and participants to the formational learning process.
- Describing the key factors that generate safety without compromising the self-awareness and participants’ critical engagement with learning.
2019 Course Details
Facilitator: Rev Dr Peter Bentley
- Monday 18 to Wednesday 20 November 2019, 9.30am to 5pm AND
- Monday 25 and Tuesday 26 November 2019, 9.30am to 5pm
Location: Whitley College, 271 Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3052
Class size (minimum and maximum number of students) is designed to facilitate optimal participation.
2019 Enrolment and Costs
UD code: DS9030W
Costs: Per University of Divinity schedule (single post-graduate unit). If students enrol through University of Divinity, FEE-Help may be available to cover tuition fees.
Contact Dorothy Morgan at Whitley College for more information.
There is also the option of auditing this unit, at a reduced cost.
Non-academic credit fees are $1,347.50 including GST (payable to WellSpring Centre).
An invoice for the auditing fees will be sent to you for payment prior to the beginning of the course.
Students who audit the course are still encouraged to complete the written tasks to gain full benefit of the course.
to enrol as an auditing student