Spiritual Formation: Shaping the Teachers and Leaders of Tomorrow.
Spiritual Formation: Shaping the teachers and Leaders of Tomorrow (UD code DS9030W)
This unit examines principles and approaches to learning that contribute to spiritual formation. The concepts of spirituality and spiritual formation are explored to set the context for how learning about particular aspects of ministry may be facilitated according to formational principles.
The themes covered in the course include an examination of the core elements of formational learning, how these elements are applied within a range of learning contexts and the implications for practitioners in various fields of study.
Course Director and Lecturer: Rev Peter Bentley
At the conclusion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to demonstrate evidence of personal engagement with, and integration of, concepts relating to spiritual formation by:
- Articulating an understanding of spirituality and spiritual formation as they relate to formational learning experiences
- Developing a critical understanding of three sets of agendas for formational learning
a. Informing and performing
b. Deforming and reforming
c. Conforming and transforming
- Outlining and illustrating the factors that enhance the learning of participants in spiritual formation programs.
- Critically assessing the contribution of formators and participants to the formational learning process.
- Describing the key factors that generate safety without compromising the self-awareness and participants’ critical engagement with learning.
Pre-requisite for course: none
This course will be offered in 2024.
Dates and course details: to be advised