Art of Contemplative Practice
2024 Art of Contemplative Practice 2
Overview and duration
This online unit explores the various forms or stages of contemplation relating to the shifts in our awareness of our relationship with the Divine. The application of contemplative practices associated with these forms or stages are examined to ascertain their influence on deepening awareness of personal spiritual development, vocational discernment, communal engagement and the development of global perspectives.
Duration: one semester
Course requirements / recommendations
Recommended for (next courses)
Art of Contemplative Practice 1 is recommended, but not required, for Art of Contemplative Practice 2
Semester 2, 2024
Hybrid - 9x weekly sessions - In person or Online - 9:30am-2:00pm Thursdays, Sep/Oct 2024
- 5, 12, 19, 26 Sep 2024 - 9:30am-2:00pm
- 3, 10, 17, 24, 31 Oct 2024 - 9:30am-2:00pm
- Dates are inclusive
- In-Person participants attend at WellSpring Centre, Ashburton, Melbourne
Next intake: 2026
Course details, learning outcomes, assessments, structure & recommended reading
Additional course information
Teaching Team: Spiritual Formation Team
Class size (min/max) is designed to facilitate optimal participation.
At the conclusion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to demonstrate evidence of personal reflection and integration of concepts by:
- Articulating an historical framework for the development of contemplation through Christian history from the early Church to the current era
- Demonstrating a clear understanding of contemplation and its relationship to other spiritual practices such as meditation, prayer and intercession
- Developing a critical awareness of the unique aspects of the various forms of contemplation
- Engaging in critical examination of their own spiritual practices as they relate to contemplation
- Describing the relevance of contemplative practices to engagement with the world and diverse contexts and cultures of ministry
Participants who audit the unit are encouraged to complete the written tasks to gain full benefit.
Cost (per unit)
This course is offered through Whitley College. Government fee help is available to qualifying Australian citizens.
For academic credit, costs are as per the University of Divinity fees schedule.
There is a reduced cost for Audit participants**. Please apply here: Application for Audit WellSpring
Useful links for additional information:
- Fees – University of Divinity and 2024 Tuition Fees - University of Divinity (divinity.edu.au)
- Australian Government Study Assist and FEE-HELP
**NB: If you choose to complete the unit as an Audit participant, no academic credit can be claimed for the unit, either at the time of enrolling, or retrospectively.
Please enrol directly with Whitley College
Registrar, Whitley College
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Ph: (03) 9340 8000
For more information
Please contact us at WellSpring